Friday, November 23, 2012

An Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

by Portia Nelson



I. I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost...I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.


II. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But it isn't my fault.
It will take a long time to get out.


III. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in...it is a habit...but,
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.


IV. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

V. I walk down another street.

***

There are many aspects of life that are not within our control. But what about those that are? We always have a choice: we can choose the status quo or we can change it - if our present way of doing things does not bring us joy, or satisfaction, or serve our life purpose.

What if you change your way of thinking? What if you change your mind?

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Eyes Turned Skyward Personal and Executive Coaching
halonashaw@gmail.com
(917)846-7784

No comments:

Post a Comment